I recently visited Berlin for the first time and was struck by the fact that the Berlin Wall, which divided the city for so many years, has now become a tourist attraction.
- I have been fortunate to visit Israel and Palestine on a number of occasions. In a conversation with a senior clergyman in East Jerusalem, I was hearing of the plight of his fellow Palestinian Christians and his concern that so many were leaving the Middle East to live elsewhere.
- Over the last year I have been to three weddings. A Zimbabwean wedding at which I officiated (in Southend). A Czech wedding where I was the bride-groom’s father (in the Czech Republic). A Zimbabwean wedding where I was a guest (in Harare).
- This year we will be celebrating the tenth anniversary of our partnerships with Kondoa and Mpwapwa dioceses in Tanzania. However, this year of celebration will be very challenging for our brothers and sisters in Kondoa and Mpwapwa as the winter rains have been very poor.
- The Archbishop of Tanzania (Bishop Jacob of Mpwapwa) and Revd.Dr.Susan Durber, Theology Co-ordinator for Christian Aid will be the key-note speakers at 'Challenging Poverty: Celebrating Humanity - Partnership for Change' on Saturday 9th May, 10am - 4pm, at Trinity School, Belvedere.
- He prayed for strength that he might achieve; He was made weak that he might obey. He prayed for wealth that he might do great things; He was given infirmity that he might do better things. He prayed for riches that he might be happy;
- It was announced today that I shall be retiring as Bishop of Tonbridge in the autumn. My final service will be in Rochester Cathedral on Saturday 31st October. Although I shall be retiring from my responsibilities as Bishop of Tonbridge I hope I will not be retiring from life quite yet.